A virus’s main function is to spread itself from computer to computer and cause potential damage to information and system. Virus can spread and infect in several different ways that include:
- Opening an infected e-mail attachment.
- Opening an infected file located on the network.
- Running an infected program (which can be a game, screen saver, etc.).
- Saving an infected file to flash drive or other writeable external drive and then using it on your computer.
- Rebooting an infected computer when a thumb drive is in the drive and then using the thumb drive on your computer.
- Visiting a compromised website. These websites are likely to be those belong to local establishments who are lax on their security measures. These sites can likely be identified with the overwhelming presence of page advertisements.