Mac Login and Keychain Solution Guide
Disclaimer: This guide only pertains to faculty/staff members with Mac computers that were issued by IT&I
I – Keychain Prompts
If Keychain Prompts are blocking access to your computer please follow the steps below:
A) Save and close all open documents and programs. If you see similar keychain prompts as below, after resetting your WCSU User Account password, keep pressing the ESC (escape) button until the prompts stop and your are back to your desktop.
B) From the Finder, click on the ‘Go‘ Menu, and then click ‘Go to Folder‘.
C) Type the following : ~/Library/Keychains
D) Select all files, right-click on them and then select ‘Move to trash‘.
E) Restart your computer, and log in with your most current credentials
F) If you use the Outlook app on your computer, open it and enter in your password again when prompted.
Note: The tilde (~) is important, as it is a shortcut for a longer path. If you do not enter it, it takes you to the System-wide key chains, which should not be altered.
Please do not hesitate to contact the IT&I Service Desk at 203-837-8467 or RequesIT@wcsu.edu if you need further assistance.
II – Cannot Login
- Reboot computer
- Log on with the password that last worked ON THAT SYSTEM.
- Call the IT+I Service Desk at 203-837-8467 should you have any problems.
- Verify that the machine is plugged into the university wired network (this is the Ethernet cord in your office every office should have one (though the newer Macbook Air models do not have Ethernet ports).
- Reboot your computer while connected to the network.
- If you are still unable to sign in, reset your password at https://AKA.ms/sspr. Try again with the new password.
- Go through Section I – Keychain Prompts in its entirety.
- If this does not work, please contact the IT&I Service Desk at 203-837-8467 or RequestIT@wcsu.edu
III – Routine Password Change Notes
WCSU User Account passwords expire every 60 days due to security policy. Every time you change your password on https://AKA.ms/sspr or by calling the IT&I Service Desk, you will be asked to update your Keychain when signing into a Mac.
To get rid of the Keychain prompt please follow Section I – Keychain Prompts in its entirety.
If you have any issues following or understanding any of the above procedures please call the IT+I Service Desk at 203-837-8467 or send us an email at RequestIT@wcsu.edu and we will be happy to assist you.